Thursday 30 April 2020

What Should I Do With My Life?

How many times have you heard that phrase come out of the lips of friends, family members or even out of your own mouth.

It is most definitely something I would have said many times and what is interesting about the actual wording of the phrase is the word 'DO' rather than 'WANT'. This implies to me that the person saying it is actually ready to do something to change how they are, what they are doing and make changes for the better.

How many times have you heard people say "I would love to do something different" and the remainder of the sentence hanging in the air and not uttered probably goes something like this "but I really can't be bothered" or "but it's all too difficult".

I believe that the main reason for not changing how we are is not because of any external influences but because of what is inside us. It's that wee inner voice that sometimes tells us "don't try it, people will laugh at you" or "you'll never be able to do that" or "I know lots of people that tried to do that and it didn't work". It's really easy to talk ourselves out of doing something and oh so hard to acknowledge the many strengths we all have inside of us.

If I could just share with you some of the questions and soul searching I did before I changed my life for the better:

Could I do something I love and earn at the same time? Absolutely - so I sought out those who do both, studied what they did and learned from them.

Listened to my inner voice - don't we all have this, that niggling wee voice that tells us we can't do something, lots of people have tried and failed and we will also what should i do with my life. Don't listen to it! Make a list of your inspirations and keep adding to it. As you come across an obstacle that might stop you getting there, quickly jot down a way you can get over that obstacle then cross it right off because it's no longer an obstacle right?

Beware of procrastinating, talking yourself out of an idea or finding reasons why something wouldn't work

Keep that goal alive - put a picture of where you want to be - it may be living in that big house, driving that fast car or just enjoying luxury holidays with loved ones. Have a big picture of that dream stuck on the refrigerator, in the car, by your bedside - in fact everywhere around the house.

Do everything with a purpose - that purpose being that goal you are aiming for. If you find yourself doing time consuming things that are not in pursuit of that goal then question your motives for doing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment